The shape of your nose can change the look of your entire face. If you feel insecure about your nose shape or wish that it was different, nose surgery could give you a great boost of confidence. Also, if the structure of your nose is causing breathing problems, nose surgery could help you breathe easier after just one procedure.
What Does Nose Surgery Involve?
Nose surgery is often referred to as rhinoplasty or a “nose job.” In this surgical procedure, adjustments are made to the bone and cartilage in your nose to change its shape.
Rhinoplasty can be used to make a variety of changes to the nose, including:
- Altering the overall size of the nose
- Straightening the bridge of the nose
- Changing the shape of the tip of the nose
- Shifting the angle of the nose
- Reducing the size of the nostrils
In nose surgery, your doctor will make incisions inside or in between the nostrils. The nasal cartilage and/or bone will then be repositioned. If extra bone or cartilage is needed, your doctor may take some from your ear or deep within the nose. If necessary, a bone graft or an implant can be used to reach your desired result.
It’s important to wait until the nasal bone has stopped growing before undergoing nose surgery for cosmetic reasons. Otherwise, the nose could grow and change in shape again, negating the results of the procedure. The nasal bone for girls usually stops growing at age 15.
Other cosmetic procedures, namely chin augmentation, can be performed at the same time as nose surgery. This can help bring the facial features into the perfect proportions.
What Are the Benefits of Nose Surgery?
Nose surgery can provide the following benefits to patients:
- Improve facial balance by bringing the nose into proportion with the rest of the face
- Create a more flattering shape for the nostrils
- Decrease the size of the nasal tip or bridge
- Alter the shape of the nasal passageways to facilitate breathing
- Amend a deviated septum
- Boost self-confidence for those who are insecure about the shape or size of their nose
- Long-lasting results with improvement that’s visible immediately after surgery
Rhinoplasty can improve both functional and aesthetic problems affecting your nose. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with a trained member of our staff.