Chemical peels are a well-known cosmetic treatment to improve the tone and texture of your skin. With a chemical solution, this type of facial peel can combat common skin concerns for a smooth, even complexion.
What Do Chemical Peels Involve?
In a chemical peel, your doctor will first apply a chemical solution to the surface of your skin. This solution will cause your skin to shed its outer layers and, after a few days, peel off. Once this layer of dull, damaged skin cells has peeled off, you’ll be left with a smoother, refreshed complexion.
There are three main types of chemical peels:
Superficial peels (which may also be called “lunchtime” peels) are the gentlest type of chemical peel. Only the outer layer of skin is affected, and it may be used to treat mild roughness and discoloration.
Medium chemical peels impact the outer and middle layers of your skin to shed more damaged skin cells. This type of peel can treat fine lines and wrinkles, as well as moderate redness and discoloration.
Deep chemical peels fully penetrate the middle layer of your skin for intensive exfoliation. This type of peel can treat moderate wrinkles, mild scarring, and discoloration. Results from a deep chemical peel are very noticeable.
After a chemical peel, your skin will be more sensitive. Be sure to avoid sun exposure and always wear sunscreen when you’re outside.
What Can Chemical Peels Be Used For?
Chemical peels can help treat:
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Sun-damaged skin
- Age spots, freckles, and discoloration
- Rough skin texture
- A dull complexion
What Are the Benefits of Chemical Peels?
- Chemical peels are non-invasive treatment options to significantly improve the appearance of your skin.
- Deep chemical peels can provide dramatic, long-lasting results.
- Superficial and medium-depth peels are safe for sensitive skin and will help you achieve a brighter, clearer complexion.
- Chemical peels help speed up cell turnover, ensuring that dead skin cells are shed to make room for new, healthy cells.
- The chemical solution will spur your skin’s natural healing process, prompting greater collagen production for healthier skin.
- By forcing the outer layer of the skin to peel, chemical peels can help your skin more effectively absorb skin care products.
Many different chemical peels are available to help you achieve your skin care goals. Contact us today to learn which chemical peel is right for you.