Breast Augmentation is the #1 cosmetic procedure in the United States with over 300,000 performed each year. If you are considering a breast augmentation, you will want to consult with the best at Marcadis Watt Plastic Surgery in Tampa. Learn more about the benefits of this surgical procedure below.
What Is Breast Implant Surgery?
Breast implant surgery is a procedure that can help women achieve fuller, larger breasts. Breast implants may be used for cosmetic or reconstructive purposes. Some women who undergo mastectomy after breast cancer may opt to have breast implants.
What Types of Implants Are Available?
Breast implants come in different forms. Saline and silicone gel are the two main types of breast implants available to women today.
- Saline breast implants contain sterile saltwater. This type of breast implant provides a firm, homogenous look and feel. If any leakage occurs with a saline implant, the entire implant will break down, allowing the body to naturally absorb and expel the saline.
- Saline breast implants are FDA-approved for women age 18 and over.
- Silicone breast implants contain a silicone gel. This type of breast implant is preferable to saline for some women because it feels more like a natural breast. If any leakage occurs, the gel could either leak into the breast implant pocket or stay in the implant shell. Leakage won’t cause the entire implant to collapse, as it does with saline breast implants.
- Silicone breast implants require regular visits to your plastic surgeon’s office to ensure that the implants are in good condition.
- Silicone breast implants are FDA-approved for women age 22 and over.
Breast implants can also be smooth or textured:
- Smooth breast implants are soft to the touch and can move within the breast implant pocket. This means that smooth implants move much like a natural breast, but they may cause visible rippling beneath the skin.
- Textured breast implants cause scar tissue to adhere to the implant. This means that the implants won’t be likely to move or shift position inside the breast. Textured implants also decrease the risk of developing a tight scar capsule.
Maintenance and Recovery from Breast Implant Surgery
After breast implant surgery, it’s important to rest and avoid heavy lifting for up to six weeks. Your doctor will likely prescribe pain medications for you to take in the days following the procedure. Additionally, you’ll likely experience swelling and scarring in the breast area, both of which will go down with time.
No matter what type of breast implant you decide on with your plastic surgeon, it’s important to check in regularly with your doctor and make sure the implant is working properly. Repositioning or damage can occur and should be resolved as soon as possible. Additionally, if the size or shape of your breasts change over time, you may need to have your breast implants replaced.
Breast implant surgery may help boost women’s body image or offset the effects of a mastectomy. Contact Marcadis Watt Plastic Surgery today to learn if breast implant surgery is right for you.